Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their father. Matthew 13:43
The minister, the Rev John Robertson Glass, with his congregation came out of the Church of Scotland at the ‘Disruption’ in 1843 and ministered to the Free Church people in Bracadale, though he was almost immediately translated to the Free Church congregation in Musselburgh. A successor, the Rev John Finlayson, was inducted in December of that year but, unable to find accommodation in the district, had to walk or ride the 14 miles from Portree thoughout the winter. He died as a result of a fall from a gig in September 1844. Finlayson was a brother-in-law of “Maighstir Ruairidh” (Rev Roderick Macleod) who had moved from Bracadale to Snizort before the Disruption of 1843. The mortal remains of both men were interred in the old Struan cemetery. A church was first built in 1854 and in Carbost around the same time.
The minister in 1900 entered the Union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterian Church (which formed the United Free Church of Scotland). The majority of the congregation, however, adhered to the continuing Free Church, though the congregation remained vacant until 1930. In the sad division that occurred in the Free Church at the end of the 20th century the minister (Rev. John Keddie) and much of the congregation adhered to the Free Church of Scotland (continuing)
Times of Worship
Sabbath Morning and Afternoon
|Morning services are held at Struan Church at 11am and at Duirinish Church at 3pm in the Afternoon.|
|Evening services alternate weekly between the Struan Church and the Carbost Church at 6 pm.|
|Rev. Calum Smith
Free Church (Continuing)
Isle of Skye.
|Mrs Kenna MacInnes
Isle of Skye,